More than 50 years of MC-Bauchemie: from local German company to global player

A brief history of MC-Bauchemie

Heinrich W. Müller (*1915/†2010) founded the company in Essen, part of the Ruhr region, in 1961. In 1963 he built a production plant for concrete and mortar admixtures in Bottrop, a neighbouring town of Essen. The ensuing years saw the company go from strength to strength. In the course of the 1970s, MC spread its business across West Germany. Expansion beyond Germany’s borders began in 1970 with the establishment of an operation in France. 

Expansion into Europe and overseas

When the company founder’s sons – Dr.-Ing. Claus-M. Müller and Dr. jur. Bertram R. Müller (*1952/†2012) – joined the board, MC-Bauchemie accelerated its expansion into Europe. Once established in Ireland, our sister company drove the process of establishing numerous further subsidiaries within Europe and, from the mid-1980s, even further afield: in January 1985, MC founded its first company outside Europe in New Bombay, India, as a base from which to develop the Asian market.

After the fall of the Iron Curtain

Following the political changes that took place in Eastern Europe and Germany’s reunification, MC began in 1990 to build up sales and distribution organisations in eastern Germany and, in the years that followed, established sales, distribution and production facilities in other former states of the Eastern bloc. By 1999, for example, the company had set up its own sales and distribution company in the Slovakian Republic. At the same time, business was also expanding in central and western Europe.

Internationalisation continues

From the turn of the millennium, MC made further progress on the internationalisation front: MC Brazil was formed as a regional production platform to serve South America, while MC-Taiwan was established to participate in one of the biggest construction projects Taiwan has ever seen – that of its high-speed railway. Mid-2012 witnessed the inauguration of MC-Bauchemie in Guinea, providing MC with a foothold in the growing West African market. 

From local German company to global player: from 25 to more than 2,500 employers

Today the family-run company, which began life in 1961 with 25 employees and now has a workforce of over 2,500 people, is one of the leading international manufacturers of building chemical products and technologies. MC researches, develops and produces speciality construction materials and product systems for both new builds and the repair and restoration of structures of all kinds and operates in more than 40 countries around the world – from South America and Europe, through the Middle East and Africa and on to South-East Asia.